Wednesday, September 4, 2013

get your plum on

Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

Would you believe me if I said that I thought I hated plums? Realistically, I could say (and believe) that I've never had a plum before this past weekend. It's mostly because of this texture thing I have. By which I mean texture issue. I'm still working on getting the courage to each a peach that isn't canned. When it comes to things that squish when you bite in, I have a serious problem. It one of the major reasons I can't do blueberries. I love the flavor I just cant handle the texture. I know, the horror. A baker who doesn't like blueberries. What can I say? I am weirdo. That's besides the point though, the point is, I thought plums were squishy so I stayed away. What a mistake I tell you. What a mistake! I'm officially plums biggest freaking fan now. I could sit down and slice up a plum every hour and be the happiest girl in the world.

Anyway, back to to the story about getting this cake together. I made the decision to buy two plums at Target almost two weeks before this cake was made (I'm utterly impressed at how long the kept in the fridge. Making mental note!) so I figured I should whip these bad boys out and make something. I was in the mood for a recipe I knew worked like magic and could be more fun to decorate than mixing. I went with my favorite fluffy white cake. This cake does take some time to put together properly but the batter tastes better than any box mix on earth. And that is saying a lot because, while I shouldn't, I'm a diehard box mix fan. It has been rooted in me since long before I knew what was being started. I decided to try a new frosting recipe since the cake was an old standard. It tastes great but the consistency is a little different than I'm used to using. Despite my picky consistency note this Brown Butter Frosting was definitely the perfect compliment to the white cake and sweet crunchy plums on top.

Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

Now I should clarify that there are two "versions" of this cake pictured - with and without cinnamon. I married a man in love with Cinnamon. The spice. Not another woman. lol So of course this was topped just for him but I can assure you that regardless of whether you include it or not, it will be delicious. Cinnamon naturally pairs well with plums so it was a no-brainer. (I googled it. Don't worry. lol)

Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

Since I have a puppy that can't seem to leave my side and must be involved in every single thing I do, I manage to get photos of his cute butt in some of my photos. I have created a jump for those of you who are sick of me blabbing on about my dog. Feel free to click down and see some extra cake photos and adorable Abe pouts if that tickles your fancy!

xoxohannah


Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting Cinnamon Plum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

ENJOY!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment