Thursday, September 5, 2013

a tidbit - take it or leave it

TODAY'S TOPIC IS...
Pass on some useful advice or information you learned and always remembered.

karma - what goes around comes around

I just recently finished watching the whole series of My Name is Earl on Netflix. GREAT SHOW. The macro storyline is all about karma. Karma is Earl's god. Well, karma is kind of my god too. This post isn't about to get into religious discussions because that isn't today's topic (nor a topic I have plans to cover anytime soon) but I will preface this with that I am not a God fearing woman, I am a karma fearing woman.

Growing up I did not have a bad childhood, we struggled and I started learning life lessons young. I believed in karma before I knew what karma even was. It wasn't until my dad remarried that this 'little tidbit' was pushed into the forefront of my mind. She used to constantly tout "What goes around comes around". Needless to say when the JT song came out, I was all about that shit. lol. She came into our family around the time I was just starting high school (she is no longer part of our family). I'm not sure why this one stuck, maybe it was because my dad didn't teach by giving us quote-like wisdom bits. I learned by experience, by listening to stories, by seeing others make mistakes. I figured out that I didn't have to experience it first hand to learn a lesson. Maybe she just said it too much, I'm not sure but it stuck. I think that fact that I could look back on past experiences and see karma cleaning things up made it easier to hold onto. Sure enough, those who did us wrong always got their just desserts and if they hadn't yet, they would.

Now I know what you are probably thinking... "Hannah, everyone has heard that saying time and time again. Was it really necessary to write an entire blog post about it?"

Probably not.

I probably could have talked about numerous things. I wouldn't have been myself though if I didn't write about karma. My Facebook about me page has always said one thing, "Karma is a bitch. Watch your back." It's been at least 5 years. It's just been that piece of advice I've always remembered. I'm not trying to tell you to fear karma because while that statement makes a point, it isn't entirely true. I fear a lot of things, karma isn't one. Karma isn't my god. The universe is. Mother Nature is. Life's little wonders are. Karma is that easy statement, that constant fall back, and that albeit corny, old as time saying that has always proved to have my back.

James has a shirt with a Japanese proverb on it that is something he has always lived by, "If you sit by the river long enough, you will see the body of your enemy float by." Same theory, different words. Chances are you have your own version of it too. I'd love to hear it if you do. Leave a comment if you feel like sharing :)

xoxohannah
[GRAPHIC CREATED BY & FOR XOXOHANNAH.COM]

2 comments :

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog through the Blogtember challenge. Completely agree. JT said it best. What goes around comes around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chica, I am SO with you. And I think that it is very real because of your attitude. You get what you give. And if you walk around as a generous, friendly person, you will likely get that back. You walk around as a grump (or a night-time Christina) probably not so great... :)

    I once lost my wallet outside a Tennessee football game with over 100,000 people. It was before the game, so EVERYONE was going in. I ran all over the place and asked everywhere I could think and nada. I was dying because the wallet had not only my license (I was flying the next morning) but also EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!! At halftime I checked once more, and someone had turned it in without taking a thing. I think I cashed in all my karma at that moment in time!

    ReplyDelete