Tuesday, January 22, 2013

52 cakes: Chocolate Cake with Ombre Whipped Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

IMG_1025_edit IMG_1015_edit
I never was a big fan of chocolate. James on the other hand, LOVES it. Somehow though, he has gotten me hooked on chocolate cake and vanilla frosting. I'm not sure what it is but I just absolutely love this combo. I've always just had store bought cake and frosting for it so I figured it was about time to bake this chocolate vanilla combo from scratch. I also decided that since James' birthday is the day after Valentine's Day (we have already picked out his cake choice) that I would make a looooooooooooooove themed cake this weekend. I've just been dying to make an ombre cake. It's one of the few truly "girly" things I adore.
IMG_1018_edit

Chocolate cake with Ombre Whipped Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
cake recipe adapted from Rosie Alyea 
frosting recipe by Rosie Alyea 

Ingredients for the cake
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (95 grams)
3/4 cup white sugar (150 grams)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (30 grams)(you can use dark. I had Hershey's on hand)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda (3.5 grams)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder (3.5 grams)
3/4 teaspoon almond flour (3.5 grams)(used as a substitute for cornstarch)
1/2 teaspoon salt (4 grams)
1/3 cup buttermilk (click here for substitute notes)
1/4 cup brewed coffee of espresso, hot (I used Nestle Caramel Latte espresso mix)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Ingredients for the frosting
3 sticks + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and softened (375 grams)
3.5 cups powdered sugar, sifted (400 grams)
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
sprinkles in any shape or color for your cake decorating

Instructions for the cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Using your electric mixer with your paddle or mix attachments combine sifted flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, almond flour (or cornstarch) and salt. In a separate bowl, coming buttermilk, coffee, oil, egg and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
On medium speed add your liquid to your dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes.Then grease and flour your 2-5 inch cake pans. Split batter evenly using a scale (it ends up being around 40 grams, give or take.)
Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack and then remove, saran wrap and place in fridge to completely cool.

Instructions for the frosting
Using your electric mixer, with paddle or whisk attachments, whip your softened and cubed butter on medium for 8 minutes until you achieve a very creamy consistency and pale color. Turn your mixer down to low and slowly add in remaining ingredients until combine. Then turn back to medium for 6 minutes, using a spatula to wipe the sides if needed.
IMG_1057_edit
Happy baking everyone!
As always, if you have any awesome cake finds or baking ideas, feel free to share in the comments :)

xoxohannah

9 comments :

  1. What an absolutely beautiful cake!! I love the ombre frosting!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you come visit me and make cake? I think I just drooled all over my iPad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious and it´s also a stunning looking cake! Every post of yours inspires me so much, THANK YOU! :)

    http://marilovescupcakes.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ombre icing is incredible! That cake looks delicious. Scrolling through your '52 cakes' is making me very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's amazing!!! Since my birthday is in January, and I'll be in the US from early Sept - early Jan, if I visit you, do you think we could pretty please have an early birthday party with this cake!!??

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing! And I dont even like cake!


    Sarah


    www.etsy.com/shop/owleyevintage

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really gorgeous! I loooove the Love theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GORGEOUS cake.

    grace
    http://herumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this one! The frosting ombre is so cute!

    -AW

    ReplyDelete