Sunday, December 18, 2011

tom and jerry batter by Amanda K.

Hi everyone! My name is Amanda, and I am so excited to be guest posting for Hannah today! I blog over at Amanda k. by the bay, so stop by and say hello! I want to share a recipe for my favorite holiday drink, a Tom and Jerry. Similar to eggnog, this drink is sweet, warm, and perfect for a cozy night in. Before I turned 21, I drank it without rum...but for those old enough, a splash or two (or three if you're feeling saucy) is highly recommended!

You will need:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla, or rum flavoring
  • 1 tsp. allspice
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 tsp. cloves
  • rum (optional)



Step One: Separate eggs.


Step Two: Beat egg whites until they form nice peaks. We want egg whites with a sturdy backbone.


Step Three: Beat egg yolks until they lighten up in color and texture.


Step Four: Blend butter and powdered sugar together, then add flavoring and spices. Add egg yolks. Your batter will be a frosting-like texture.


Step Five: Gently add egg whites, and beat until thoroughly blended. 


Your Tom and Jerry batter is done! How simple was that? This batter will keep well in an air-tight container for a few weeks in your fridge. I like to store mine in mason jars, and give some as gifts!